Sunday, June 7, 2009

Is It True?

If you are anything like me, you have a tendency to create meaning out of nothing and lets face it your career path reflects it! I have had the unique pleasure of being let go from every corporate job Ive had since college, and have come to realize that outside every closed door, possibility is always presenting itself. Instead of embracing change/possibility, we often times mope around and feel sorry for ourselves, while making everyone else around us MISERABLE!

In the event that you are having trouble moving past your current state of limitation, I invite you to put yourself in check by answering four simple questions outlined by Byron Katie in a book titled "Loving What Is"...

1). Is it true?
Yes, you got let go from your job, however is it true that you are lazy and none will ever hire you again?

2). Can you absolutely know its true?
Outside of the "shitty committee" inside your head, can you absolutely 100% prove that you are lazy and no one will ever hire you again? If you are able to obtain validation, I strongly suggest that you question your source. You may appear to be lazy when unmotivated or challenged, however you may be a whole new person when doing something you love to do.

3). How do you react when you believe that thought?
Example: In the past, Ive ascribed meaning around losing my job and somehow convinced myself that because of one negative experience I was doomed for the rest of my professional career. When I convinced myself of the lack and limitation, I heightened my fears and got nothing more than lack and limitation. When you are ready to rid yourself of the drama in your life, this is a POWERFUL question to consider!

4). Who would you be without that thought?
Example: I have come to believe that I am a success outside all of my setbacks, because in life we are not defined by what happens to us, rather how we respond. We all have traumatic pasts, however I encourage you to think about who you are outside all of the drama and chose another legacy for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment