Thursday, June 4, 2009

Set Goals & Hold Yourself Accountable

I recently had the opportunity to re-connect with a friend that I met in my undergraduate studies at ASU, and it became quite clear that the only difference between us here and now was that she set goals and held herself accountable, and I did just the opposite. Both proponents of higher education, we shared a vision of getting our Masters and teaching at a University. Four years later she had completed her Masters and what did I have to show for it? In that moment, I decided that I was going to set goals and hold myself accountable. Life works in mysterious ways as the very next day I took a class on goal setting at AWEE. Here are the Top 3 concepts that I learned...

1). We all have reasons for are inability to set goals (whether its fear of failure, a un-supportive social network, limited thinking, or our SAD stories), however the better you get to know yourself, the more likely you are to move beyond those fears and become the success that you already are.

2). A dragon or obstacle in goal setting is helpful as it often times propels us to the next level. This may be a nagging friend/family member, or a recent lay off, however without that dragon you may not be motivated to do something completely different (as we often times don't take action until life gets unbearable).

3). All goals should be S.M.A.R.T in that they should be SPECIFIC, MEASURABLE, ACTION-ORIENTED, REALISTIC & TIMED. When will you write your resume/apply online? What action steps will you take to get a job? How will you measure your progress (i.e. obtaining interviews)? Are your aspirations realistic to your skill set? What is your time frame for finding a job?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Aja, I have been reading your blog and had previously been under the impression that you left of your own accord. I am glad that you found something and I hope it is something you love. Being layed off, for me, was an eye opener and I relate to your blog posts in a personal way. I too had to look inward and decide if the impressions placed on me were true and if I was only what people thought I was because they said so. Once I did that evaluation I now know my true worth. I am now not looking for a job for the rest of my life, I am looking for further opportunities to grow and to help others grow. Thank you for posting this blog to help those out there that haven't gotten to that point yet and I hope that you have found something you love.

    Tami

    ReplyDelete