Saturday, May 23, 2009

Find Your Support System

Since most jobs are found through who you know, find a few people who are talkers and can tell your story (no sad stories allowed, only uplifting stories that include possibilities and hope).

Example: Randy Pausch said in the Last Lecture that he had "hit the jackpot with his mother and father" and I too feel like I hit the jackpot when it comes to parents. My mother is in an industry in which she has a large base of successful women who see her regularly, and loves telling stories that relate to her family. How perfect is that? With 3 out of 4 people unemployed in our immediate family, you better believe my story is being told! The best thing about this form of advertising/publicity is that its free.

Success story: Since my mother told my story, I was able to get advice/direction from an amazing woman who I had never met before (but felt like she knew me through 12 years of stories).

Do you have someone who would be willing to tell your story about being unemployed or unhappy in your current position???

No comments:

Post a Comment