Friday, May 29, 2009

Sell YOURSELF!

I recently attended a workshop hosted by Scottsdale Job Network in which the presenter assured us that whether we wanted to be in sales or not, we were ALL in the business of selling ourselves. After much consideration, I am convinced that we have all become so fearful of "tooting our own horn" that we tense up when asked to converse with others. My advice is that we move beyond intimidation, and find what makes us unique. A 15 second elevator speech is highly recommended and typically sounds something like this......

Hi, my name is Aja Ware. My skills are in Marketing, Communications and Event Planning. I have a degree in Communication. In my most recent role as Marketing Coordinator, I planned trade shows, wrote RFP's and assisted the sales department with incoming calls (3-5 job responsibilities that allowed you to shine). I am looking for a part-time position (specific type of position?) working for a company that is ecologically friendly with 30-50 employees (outline size of company). I could write the book on uneventful careers (or whatever your story is), however there are few people who have the tenacity, drive, or passion that I have (personalize what makes you DIFFERENT!).

1 comment:

  1. I have a business idea for you. You should be self employeed at least until something else comes along, or maybe you will like it so much you won't want to go back to working for anybody else. Aware Business Consulting- offering marketing ideas from a fresh perspective

    ReplyDelete